From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:17:21 -0500
From Ferret Friends Disaster Response International - Founder/Director Chere
McCoy

When I read Bob's first Unity message there was a portion that I found
terribly disturbing.  That part where he ask that no support be given to
local Humane Shelters

All I can do is beg you all to please continue to support the local Humane
Shelters who are willing to help the ferrets and turn them over to Ferret
Shelters.

In Florida alone there are 171 Humane and Animal Control Organization that
assist ferrets in one way or another - turning them over to ferret shelters
or assisting during times of disaster or need.

This last Hurricane season FFDRI could not have totally functioned were it
not for the cooperation of the Humane Shelters.

I will give you just one example of what working with and through a local
humane society can accomplish.

Summer 95.  A ferret was found by an Animal Control Agency at an airport in
a hanger.  He had suffered SEVER injuries during an encounter with another
animal.  He was ripped open from mid belly to tail.  His right ear was
practically gone.  The animal control agency took him to the local Humane
Society.  They did not even blink an eye they rushed this ferret to a
veterniary hospital where he got critical care treatment and immediate
surgery - that local Humane Society PAID for it.  Once the ferret was able
to be released a Ferret Shelter was contacted and they picked the ferret up.
Today that ferret is alive and happy and has one of the most beautiful coats
you have every seen.  That ferret whose name is MAGNUM has a new home and a
loving mother.

Please do support your local Humane Society - educate them regardinig
ferrets - keep working toward cooperation with them to save ferret lives.

Write to the Humane Society of the United State in Washington and tell them
of your displeasure with THEM and their stance on Ferrets as a companion
animal.

I could tell you so many stories of how local Humane Shelters have assisted
ferrets - yes even Humane Shelters in California.

So please remember who we are all out here for  ---THE FERRETS---

CDFA is doing a wonderful job in California and I just Know that within the
next year ferrets will become legal there - I bet if you ask them you would
find out that there have been one or two Humane Shelters in California that
have turned ferrets over to be taken out of state to safe haven.  Why don't
you ask them

ALWAYS FOR THE FERRETS

Chere McCoy
Founder/Director Ferret Friends Disaster Response International