From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:59:27 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9843&startid=9844

>We have a vet that seems willing to help us, but they have never done
>a ferret before.  If someone could tell us what the difference a vet
>would experience in comparison to them doing a cat (they are very
>experience with cat and dog fixing)???  We know that ferrets are much
>smaller than cats, but how much more complicated it is??

Actually, not at all.  Ferret neuters can be done either like a
cat or like a dog, and I have done both methods many times with no
complications.  Spays are very, very similar to doing a small cat/kitten,
and again, as of now I have seen no complications, even with a ferret
with cystic ovaries or one that was in heat.  This time of year none of
the ferrets should be in season, which should make it even simpler.

Any vet that is experienced with cat/dog surgery should have no problems
with the procedure itself, the main concern would be the difference in
anesthetic protocols, which they should be able to find published with
no problems.

Good luck.

Dr. Ruth
Smarty Jones - still a great little horse