From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:10:40 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=10782&startid=10783

>Personally, as far as the adrenal surgery is concerned, in the hands
>of an experienced veterinary surgeon, it is a safe procedure.  I can
>not say the same for the partial pancreatectomy, because it's not
>commonly performed.

No surgical procedure is 100% safe, no matter who's doing it and no
matter the experience they have.  Any time a ferret goes in for a
surgery, there is the chance that they might not make it, as is true for
all animals.  However, I agree that an experienced surgeon tends to have
success with adrenal surgery.  But I disagree with your next comment.

I perform partial pancreatectomies on a regular basis, pretty much doing
them in all of my insulinoma surgeries, and know many of my colleagues
who also do them regularly.  I rarely have any complications, and since
the ferret pancreas is far more forgiving than a dog or cat pancreas,
would expect that to be true for any experienced surgeon.

Dr. Ruth
Puppies kiss better than most people.