From:
Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:57:15 -0500
Hi all,
    Not so quick question.  I went to look at another ferret today to be
company for Kayla.  :) [V'orri hates her, wanted to rip her face off :(] The
owners thought it was a female, but it turned out to be a male.

    While looking him over, he whipped his head around and grabbed the meaty
part of my hand.  It didn't really hurt, but I was a bit surprised at the
grip, and that he broke skin.  In looking further I found that one of his
front upper canines is broken.  Is it common for ferrets with broken teeth
to bite harder than one who has a "balanced" mouth?  I didn't really get the
feeling when he bit me that he was upset, just wanting to not be held,
however, it was a much harder bite than I would have expected in that
situation.  He bit down until the broken canine made contact with skin.  As
soon as it did, he let go.  [I'm relatively insensitive to pain, which is
why he could break skin and have me barely notice.] Although they didn't
tell me initially, they did confirm he has bitten at least the male owner
pretty hard.  He's still healing up.  He's not aggressive, nor does he bite
when on the floor playing.  It seemed more like a disciplinary bite that
ended up breaking skin by accident.

    Also, he is being fed grocery store cat food heavy on the red dyes.  He
has a stunning coat even with lower quality food.  Has anyone noticed
improved behavior from rescues after being taken off low quality food?  I
know you can sometimes see that with dogs.

    I didn't get him, but I haven't ruled it out.  He reminds me so much of
my sterling female who had to be put down a year ago I could barely resist,
however, that's just looks, not personality.

Dithering and pondering,

Janice Underwood                             Silk CGC [greyhound]
Schenectady, NY                           V'orri [silver mitt ferret]
e-mail: [log in to unmask]        Kayla [sable ferret kit]