From:
Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 03:55:40 -0400
Hi again,
    Having a baby [ferret that is] in the house again after 5 years without
is a re-adjustment.  As with all kits, Kayla gets a bit over eager with her
jaws.  Long ago, I bought a "Gumabone" for V'orri when he was a small kit.
He was not too interested, but I recently bought another [small size]
"Gumabone".  I am happy to report that Kayla seems to enjoy wrestling with
it and biting on it.  I figure I'll try re-direction with her if her biting
does get too rough, you know, "No biting" or "That's enough" when she gets
out of control, and give her the bone instead.  It's been working
beautifully so far, and we just spent 15 or 20 minutes playing around, her
actively wrestling with me, then biting *it*.

    Her larcenous instincts are in fine form, as they should be with any
self-respecting ferret.  :) I might just as well have called her Digger.
None of the ferrets that have either passed through my doors or belonged to
my friends have ever been quite so devoted to digging.  I think I'll have
to teach my plants self defense.  :) She's already dug up some of the tiles
in the bathroom floor!  [no biggie, old floor]

    I'm on the hunt for another, so if anyone knows of a light colored
ferret, preferably female, relatively young, in the upstate NY area or
Vermont, mail me privately please.  [Us'ns with lousy vision who don't like
to wear their glasses in the house have to be able to tell the critturs
apart when they're doing dastardly things several feet away.  :)] There's a
thing about greyhounds, and having to have more than one AKA the Potato
Chip Syndrome.  The same principle operates in ferrets, but it's a whole
lot easier to fit multiple ferrets than multiple greyhounds!  :)

    V'orri is hanging in there healthwise.  He likes to look at Kayla
through the cage, but tried to take her face off when she tried to play
with him.  He doesn't like the *wild thing* to be in physical contact with
him, but he does like to watch her, so that's how it will be done.

Sorry this got so long,

Janice Underwood                            Silk CGC [greyhound]
Schenectady, NY                          V'orri [silver mitt ferret]
e-mail: [log in to unmask]        Kayla [sable ferret kit]