From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:50:40 -0600
Wowser!  My email box was struck by lightning, or so it seems.  Actually,
in a single day, I have recieved some 90+ questions, comments, angry
shouts, and pleas for more information regarding the first two
installments of the ad libitum series.

Be patient.  This is a very complex area of study, and not even the
scientists directly investigating the issue have all the answers,
especially regardng the exact mechanisms describing how it works.  I
will be going through this very slowly, not because I think none of you
can understand, it, but because if I take slow, carefull steps, I am less
likely to fall on my face.  I have a lot of training and experience in
most of the areas being discussed, but, the literature I am sharing comes
from such a wide range of interests and study that I have to be careful
that I understand it well enough to explain it properly.

For example, I have a single, important paper that forces me to review
issues of individual gene extression, ageing, biochemistry, immunology,
exercise, and the much beloved population genetics.  I thought I would
have to put a ruler on the page and go through it line by line.  I
could just read the results and tell you what they say, but I couldn't
intelligently discuss the issues if I did.  If I can't intelligently
discuss the issues, then I can't tell you if they are applicable to
ferrets or not.  Bear in mind, I am sharing the information found in
literally over a hundred information-dense references that are setting
on my desk as I write.  I don't think my brain will burn out, but it may
dim the light bulb.

So, I will take it slow and easy, and intelligently discuss enough of
the issues over the next week so most, if not all, of your questions will
be answered.  My ignoring questions at this time should NOT be considered
evasive, but rather a tactic to get through a complete explanation
without being sidetracked.  When I think I have finished, I will happy to
field ALL remaining questions.

Bob C