From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:08:14 -0500
>From:    Lee Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Coloidal silver use
>As she became more bald with every passing day,a friend of our mentioned
>that a few drops of coloidal silver (a very old fashion natural med) in
>her water bowl everyday may help to slow down her disease.

Your description of how Zuzu's disease progressed is not really atypical
for an untreated adrenal tumor in a female.  IT is exactly the same way
things progressed for our Fuzzface (our second ferret) when we made the
decision not to treat her second adrenal tumor.  She two had a full coat
with no swollen vulva by the end.  She two lasted a couple of years after
the first signs of the second tumor.  She was almost five and a half when
she had the surgery to remove the first tumor and was over seven and a
half when she passed away.  This was before bilateral adrenal surgeries
were as routine as they are now.

Colloidal silver is not very old fashioned.  It is rather new only dating
back a few decades.  It is not the same silver used in older times.

It is not a natural medicine.  Electrically processed heavy metals are not
natural.  It is no more natural than electroplating.

It is not really a medicine.  It has been loudly proclaimed quackery by
the US FDA.  It has never passed any study for safety or efficacy.

We are sorry for Zuzu's passing but the colloidal silver did not help.  We
strongly encourage others to read up on colloidal silver but from reputable
sources.  There have never been reputable sources cited that recommend this
poison as medicine.

>From:    ferret <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver use
>Yes, actually colloidal silver use has been discussed extensively on this
>list, as many of us (ferret owners and ferret shelter operators) have used
>it to treat our ferrets.

It has been very discredited on this list.

>I have posted extensive references for colloidal silver to this list in
>the past

Actually you have not.  We are still waiting for any reference that
recommends colloidal silver that is not written from a false name or
false organization.

So far we have had only articles claimed to be from people who have
disavowed them and from institutions that either do not exist are
likewise disavow them.

We have however posted many articles including from the FDA where Colloidal
silver is very clearly described as bad.  Conditions from the silver that
are irreversible are mentioned.  PLus the very simply stated

>>FDA is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports
>>the safe and effective use of colloidal silver ingredients or silver
>>salts for any animal disease condition.

This is from an article titled "COLLOIDAL SILVER NOT APPROVED" and can
be found at  http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/updates/silver.html
This seems pretty clear.  It further states
>>In addition to the possible human health concerns, use of these products
>>to treat a serious illness in animals (including pets) could potentially
>>endanger the health of the animal by delaying timely, appropriate
>>treatment.

Do not substitute colloidal silver for appropriate treatment.  There are
some strong proponents of CS here but so far all they have is claims that
it helped anecdotally but their anecdotes are not inconsistent with no
treatment at all in most cases.

>Unfortunately, the topic of colloidal silver *has* been rather
>"contentious" on this list in the past, so it's probably best not
>to enter into another extensive discussion of its merits.

The contentiousness can be avoided if you do indeed post this references
you claim to have.  Perhaps we should actually try to work this issue out.
Both sides should be prepared to back up their point of view.  We are more
than willing and will not use ad hominem attacks nor any other fallacious
reasoning.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferret