From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:15:00 -0800
Sorry so late, away all weekend.

>I just got a 1st time free issue of Ferrets Magazine and I must say I'm
>very impressed.  I look forward to getting my next issues!  I recognized
>some names of people that are on this list so that was very neat.  I was
>surprised to see a letter from that Jen Morrison...yeeks, makes my skin
>crawl.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the issue!  Ferrets Magazine is
excellent.  I especially enjoy the photo contest pictures...way too cute!
Also, articles by Troy Lynn and Mary Van Dahm are what keep me coming back
again and again.

I must address the many posts about people "apologizing" for owning a MF
ferret.  Let me say, again, there is nothing wrong with owning a Marshall
Farms ferret.  I agree that neglecting any and all ferrets due to their
origins is sick and wrong.  I NEVER stated that people should treat MF
ferrets any differently than other ferrets nor did I state that people
should stop adopting them.  I (I being the operative here) just don't
purchase MF products and if I am going to adopt a farm-bred ferret, I
start with shelters.  This is where many of them end up as a result of pet
stores selling to people who are not ready to have ferrets or were not
educated correctly prior to purchase.  I implore you to look into your
local shelters for adoption versus the pet stores.  Shelter ferrets need
to be adopted.  NOBODY SHOULD EVER APOLOGIZE FOR OWNING FERRETS.  No way
did I ever suggest that nor did I suggest that MF ferrets are inferior.
My suggestions are/were based on my experiences with health problems and
my attempts to get MF to pay closer attention to what they are doing from
a breeding standpoint.  I am not trying to shut them down, just change
what is not right or ethical where ferrets are concerned.  Nowhere have I
stated that MF ferrets are any less spectacular than other ferrets.  My
first ferret was an MF ferret and lived till age seven (he was the only
MF ferret I have adopted/rescued or fostered that has lived past three).
All of the MF ferrets I have been owned by or rescued/fostered have been
great.  The only complaint is that they have not lived past age three due
to adrenal or lymphoma.  Sorry, but this has been my experience.  I just
don't like the practices MF uses (shipping is also a big part of my
complaints).

I am not going to elaborate any further.  Anyone asking questions about
Marshall Farms would be best served by going to the FML archives.  This
topic has been beaten to death numerous times, ending in the same old
controversy.

Please, people, do not take the concerns voiced over Marshall Farms as
discouragement to adopt a MF ferret.  Not all MF ferrets develop these
health problems.  Unfortunately, the percentage of health problems with
MF ferrets I have dealt with, has been discouraging.  That is just my
experience.  ALL FERRETS DESERVE LOVE AND CARE REGARDLESS OF ORIGIN.  I am
just trying to make things better by educating the higher-ups at Marshall
Farms about this.  That is all I can do since the authorities in that area
don't seem to care.