From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:38:09 -0800
I cannot thank Melissa enough for posting the link to those pictures!

Perfect timing as I will be giving these links to those at Petco corporate
who are involved in the ordering of ferrets.  They need to see what they
are buying into - good or bad.

Some may disagree with me but my opinions/feelings on the whole break in
and picture taking are mixed and I am only speculating.  I believe that
this break in was either planned or assisted by a current or former
employee.  In speaking with MF it has appeared to me that they are very
difficult to gain access to.  I could be wrong and it might be that they
portray themselves in this manner to discourage people from attempting.
It just seems awfully odd to me that it was so easy for someone to gain
access and take pictures.

As far as the pictures go, I think that they are pretty realistic.  I
doubt anyone would have had time to "fake" pictures (remove hammocks and
blankies from cages, etc...), as some might try to claim, but then again,
this is only speculation.  I am very upset to see that the animals do not
have blankies or hammies in the cages nor did I see any toys whatsoever.
How sad.  Then I speculate over all the posts of people who are confused
as to why their ferrets sleep in the litter box.  If your ferrets are
Marshall Farms, this could be a learned behavior.  After all, when the
only comfortable place to sleep is in a litter box...well you get the
idea.  Shame on a company who even sells toys and hammocks!

I don't know what to believe on the whole issue of how the animals are
fed.  I was told by several at MF that the animals are "hand-fed" which
to me, is not the same as having a mechanical feeder.  This is confusing
to me.  I also have to wonder how the ferrets are cleaned prior to being
shipped (assuming that several must sleep in litter boxes since there is
nothing else provided).  I wonder if these animals are "hand-cleaned" or
if there is simply a sprinkler system.  This probably sounds ridiculous
but if MF cannot even feed the animals by hand-delivery, then I wonder
what other systems are mechanized.  I also wonder how often the ferrets
receive any human interaction.  No toys, no comfort or places to burrow
under, it sounds like prison inmates get more attention.  I also wonder
what part of MF these pictures were taken in.  Are these those animals
that are intended for labs or are they for the pet industry?  Not that it
matters either way, just curious.  I didn't look at every picture since it
was too upsetting for me.

Once again, I am only speculating on this stuff.  I am very upset at the
pictures.  Others who are upset, should call Marshall Farms and ask to
speak with Peter Reid.  I am sure he has seen the pictures by now, and it
would be interesting to see what he has to say.  Keep in mind, he wont
respond in writing - you have to call.  Please be polite and don't let
your emotions get in the way.  Right now, I am working on Petco.  I will
also be calling APHIS but have to wait a few days until I can put the long
distance on my next phone statement (my current month's bill will already
be a whopper).  APHIS has not responded to the five email requests I have
sent.  If I recall, as a government agency they are required to provide
the public with guidelines on how farms are regulated.  I want to know how
ferret farms are regulated and if there are any differences or special
provisions.  We all know ferrets are not pigs, cats, dogs or cows.

Just my thoughts and a thank you to Melissa for the great info!