From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 07:54:05 -0400
Amy Me Cada wrote:

>To all:
>With the O.K. of my vet, I have been dosing my ferrets and dogs with ivermectin
>for the past two years.  I purchase the sterile 50 ml 1% solution at a general
>feeds store and dilute a quantity each month. Does anyone have any idea if
>diluted (with propylene glycol) ivermectin has a different shelf life than
>undiluted, given light-free storage?
>In addition to being convenient, this method is VERY cheap--about .15 a month
>for all.  Just MAKE SURE that you are very careful about
>diluting and dosing for your animals.  I do it because I work in a laboratory
>and have access to syringes and other instruments for precise measurement. One
>millileter of undiluted 1% ivermectin contains 10,000 micrograms!
>I dilute 1:99 with propylene glycol.  Any thoughts?

>Amy

        Amy, as I'm not a pharmacologist - I'm not sure of the shelf-life of
your diluted variety.

        A note to everyone however - Amy's method works for her as she is sure
of her dilutions.  I would not advise anyone not familiar with these techniques
to try it, even if it is very inexpensive.  A mistake by one power of 10 (or one
decimal place) may prove disastrous.  Let your vet make up the solution for
you...

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000