From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 15:01:02 -0400
To Robert and Lynda Morin concerning Bibitte's tumor -

        The signs that you describe are classic for cancer of the pancreas, also
known as an islet cell tumor, or an insulinoma.  These tumors secrete insulin
and cause the glucose level in the blood to go down (which is easily picked up
on a blood test).

        These tumors, however, are commonly treated by surgery, and can be cured
(although some animals may develop  additional tumors over time).  If Bibitte
can get rehydrated, and is a suitable candidate for this surgery, I strongly
suggest that you talk to your vet about it.  It is far beneficial than
continuing with prednisone pills and frequent feedings.

        I'd suggest a talk with your vet about the surgery - it's probably the
most comon ferret surgery down here in the states.  I had a ferret done last
Friday....

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000