Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:14:49 +1300
For the past several days I've been blessed with a cold.  (fun) and as a
result, I have been visiting the ferrets for their basic needs, and not
for their normal play time.  I guess the more acrobatic Sheila decided she
wanted to play *anyway*...

Yesterday morning, I went in to do their cage, make sure their food/water
etc was okay and all the ferrets were bounding around.  Climbing my legs,
clothes, leaping into my hair... (as usual) Last night, I went in with
their treat, and had ferrets bounding around, leaping, climbing my legs,
leaping into my hair... and one of the kits was limping.  Uh oh...

I gently felt the paw, leg and muscles around the leg for signs of pain or
swelling.  There were none.  As far as this little gal was concerned, my
probing may as well have been a feather fluttering past.  Probably less,
cause a feather would've warranted chasing!  I finished giving out the
treats, picked up the kit (and her mama for company), and brought them both
inside to the 'hospital cage'.  The hospital cage is all one level, which
means no falling, no climbing, no straining anything... Safely tucked away
now, the cage was closed (not locked) and I left the room.  Baby (the mama)
escaped twice before I gave in and lockd the cage.  The kit was still
limping, not bearing any weight on her leg at all, by later that evening.

Next morning, no change.  She was putting a little weight on the leg, but
not enough.  I booked an appointment with the vet, and trundled her off
there for a visit.  The vet felt the leg (obviously felt harder than I
did!) and the little gal was *not* impressed.  She was well mannered
though, and only turned her head to glare at him, didn't try to nip or bite
(amazingly) and didn't utter a sound.  The vet nodded before declaring
'feels broken'

BROKEN!?  Sheesh!!  A fiasco at the xray machine ensued - hard to take an
xray when the 'patient' refuses to sit still - fixed by a little vegetable
oil magicked out of nowhere.  Once the xrays were developed, the verdict
was out.  A definite break.  How she'd done it, well, is anybody's guess.
I suspect she decided to take a leap and had landed wrong in the cage.
However she'd done it, done it was.  My little acrobatic kit was
sentenced... two weeks confinement - no moving, no playing, no looking
sideways at the other ferrets.  The vets words were that she should be
"bored out of her tree"

We'd discussed pinning the leg, or strapping it, and when asked what would
be best for the kit, the vet merely stated that he felt there would be less
stress for her to confine her, and there would be little to no difference
in the amount of healing she'd have if the leg was pinned to the
confinement.  So... we have another appointment with the vet in a weeks
time, to check on her progress and if she isn't healing as well as he
expects, she'll be "pinned" then.  However, seeing her current ability
(already starting to put some weight on the leg, and placing it corrently)
the vet feels she's doing amazingly.

So, for now, feel sorry for the poor little rascal who overstepped her
acrobatic bounds and is now in a little carrier until further notice.
Poor gal.

At least this way, she gets to rest up for her next attempts at acrobatics,
and hopefully will learn some caution for the future...

Sam
-------

For those ferrets and owners that need our help...
visit Ferrets In Need! at
http://www.ferretfans.net/