From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 17:23:26 -0500
I have a ferret with an inoperable adrenal tumor.  She already had surgery
to have the left adrenal removed, but another tumor on the right adrenal had
already enclosed the vena cava and could only be debulked.  The latest
ultrasound showed this tumor to be growing around the heart, so Lizzie was
put on Lysodren therapy.  Lysodren is a powerful drug used to suppress the
growth of certain cells.  It is quite expensive (at least for me) at about
$1 per day in treatment.  The drug also had to be mixed by a special
compounding pharmacist.  The treatment started out with one dose each day
for 7 days, and now she is on one dose each 3 days.  She seems to be doing
fine, and will be re-evaluated in 6 months to see how the tumor is doing.
Lizzie is 7 years old, and other surgeries are not feasible anyway.

- Erika (owned by Misty, Sasha, Lizzie, Socks, Slinky, Bear, and Compton)