From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 11:43:04 -0500
Thanks to Kelleen for all the wonderful advice in starting a club/shelter.
I wanted to comment on the experiences our club has had in seeking nonprofit
or not-for-profit status in the state of Texas.  First, to be recognized as
a NPR in Texas, you must be INCORPORATED which requires a filing fee, legal
services, articles of incorporation, and a tax accountant's assistance.
This can cost several hundred dollars.  Then you can file as a NPR in the
STATE.  If you want federal, IRS NPR recognition, this requires another
filing fee of several hundred dollars (varies, but usually $300-$500).  So
getting this status, either state or federal, is quite expensive.

Finally, and most important, is that NPRs CANNOT push political views or
publicly involve themselves in legal issues.  This means that you could not
be part of any of the ferret legalization efforts that are going on.  You
can lose your NPR status if you so much as write a letter to a government
organization, sign a petition, talk at a city council meeting, etc.  So
please be careful!

Ferret Lovers' Club of TX goal is to get EVERYTHING legal around here and
THEN see about NPR status.

- Erika