From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:12:10 -0500
FERRET ODOR
>I write with a terrible problem.  I have four ferrets and clean their
>rather large cage every day!  I am great with keeping up with it but it
>still smells.

1. Scoop the litterbox at least once daily, and clean it completely at
   least once per week.

2. Use one of the following litters: Feline Pine (pelleted pine), Yesterday's
   News (pelleted newspaper), Clean n' Comfy or Fresh Nest (scented corn
   cob), Care Fresh (recycled paper), or wood stove pellets (any brand).
   Clay cat litters stink (literally) and they are also dusty (bad).

3. Launder the ferret's bedding at least once per week.  By bedding I mean
   hammocks, blankets, old t-shirts, etc. that they sleep in.

4. Do not overbathe the ferrets.  Bathe them no more than once per month
   and use a ferret shampoo.  By overbathing or using a people shampoo, you
   are drying out their skin which will cause it to produce more oils and
   hence more odor.

Happy Ferreting!
[log in to unmask] (home-preferred)
[log in to unmask] (work)