From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 18:06:53 -0700
Alexandra's account about Todd's whiskers reminds me of my childhood
with my father who was a forest researcher. I was the only girl, with
three brothers, and he often took me along while collecting tree
material or pollen for hybridizing. I would often get the resin on my
hands because I also liked to climb trees, and one of the best solvents
is Xylol, a nasty solvent used in paint stripping. That stuff burns any
open wound and also removes any skin oils so my hands would hurt from
both the burning and the drying. An alternative cleaner is Boraxo, a
granulated soap that came in a can. I don't know if it is still around
but it did a decent job. I still would climb a tree but out here in
the desert there aren't any suitable for such an activity, they are
all armed with thorns of one kind or another and the branches are not
placed well for climbing. I need a good northern tree for that.

Carol J. Owens
Ferret Friends,Inc.
Tucson  AZ