From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:18:58 -0400
Dee wrote:
>Regarding the post from Mary at Modern Ferret, what did it have to do with
>ferrets?  I am sorry if Eric is having medical problems, but why post
>about it on this list?

There are two reasons.  When this list was first being designed (Is it 12
or 13 years ago now, Bill?  I'd guess 13 for the initial discussions on the
topic of formation but it's been a while.) those of us who were in on the
initial content choices decided that personal matters within reason could
be on the list since we had all become friends.  In fact, for a while early
on we had a lot of posts that concentrated on helping one member, Nancy,
and her family after her sister, Peggy, was in an accident and became
quadriplegic.  It is by that definition within FML guidelines.  The second
reason is that many FML members get Modern Ferret so it is important
for them to know what is causing delays.  BTW, MF as an abbreviation is
traditionally used for Marshall Farms not for Modern Ferret, though that
appears now and then and tends to cause some confusion.  By two aspects
it fits for these very good people who truly love ferrets and care about
ferret people.

Bill wrote:
>And for another, I can't think of too many people who contribute more to
>the ferret community -- any news about Modern Ferret is ferret-related
>practically automatically.

Boy, is that ever true.  Before we had so many problems with sick older
relatives and such I used to put in 30 to 40 "free time" hours per week
helping others in the ferret community and through them helping their
ferrets, but Mary and Eric always did even more in their "spare" time for
no reason except to assist others .  They have consistently given so very
much to everyone.

Had one with an anal sac infection that looked like that years ago.  She
turned out to also have more anal sacs than the norm by a wide margin once
they went in.  Were told that she had been "descented" earlier, but when
they went in they found more anal sacs still there than she should have had
in the first place.  That was Haleakala, a retired breeder who was retired
by her household after a mounting male put a canine through one of her
eyes.  Halee OWNED my belly button -- no exaggeration.  If you had seen
it you'd know it.  It was HER'S!

Someone with four little feet and masked face once typed the closely spaced
letter combo" frrrrt" on our keyboard.  Spooky, huh?  BTW, look how close
"e" is to the others.  When do you think someone's ferret will get even
close to the word "ferret"?  That would be so neat, wouldn't it?  Maybe
it's happened already and the person stayed mum thinking no one would
believe it.