From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:17:06 -0400
Here are answers to the questions posted on the FML yesterday. We hope
that the information clears up any misunderstandings with the rescue.

>1. Where are Stephanie and her husband? Did they walk out on these
>animals, or was there some issue which necessitated them leaving?

The groups that went in to take the ferrets were contacted by
Stephanie's mother, who also informed them that Stephanie had been
incarcerated. We do not know how long she has been in jail. There was
some concern on her part that the husband might harm the ferrets. Ya,
no food and water is a start.

>2. Were these animals always kept this way, and were these the only
>ferrets found? She had many more a short time ago.

In addition to the "box", the basement also had several cages that were
all filthy. The rescuers' plan was to remove EVERYTHING, including
cages and supplies, making it more difficult for Stephanie to "start
up" again when she is released. The basement was stripped clean of all
ferret supplies, whether usable or not.

>3. What happened to her other animals? Are they still on the property?

There were cats and dogs also in the house. The cats have all been
surrendered to Dr. Labonde's vet clinic. We have no further information
on the dogs. Rescuers did comment that the dogs looked to be in good
health.

>4. It was reported that the ferrets were without food and water. Why
>did the volunteers not feed, water and clean them?

You are assuming she had volunteers. The rescuers certainly have no
knowledge of the inner day to day working details of the shelter.
That is a question for Stephanie to answer.

>5. Has anyone accounted for the money that was given to her?

Again, that's a question for Stephanie, not the rescuers.

>6. Why did she not ask for help in getting these ferrets out before it
>got to this point- she and her husband had to know there was a serious
>problem- why did they have to be "discovered"?

Last month Stephanie contacted a Colorado ferret group to come and get
her ferrets. The group declined, but gave Stephanie contact information
for other rescue groups but Stephanie did not follow up. She said she
had 20 ferrets and needed homes for all of them. Yes, the math is
disturbing - the rescuers picked up 17. Does that mean that 3 died, or
she found homes for three? That is yet another question for Stephanie.
Stephanie made no contact with SOS or F.E.R.R.E.T. for help, nor did
the Colorado group she contacted a month ago. The fact that her husband
didn't give the ferrets food and water says a lot about him and why he
should be prosecuted as well.

>7. How many people knew she was in trouble?

Well, we know that initial Colorado Ferret group was contacted, but
that's all we know.

>8. If there were volunteers going in there, why were they not alerting
>someone in the ferret community to the condition of Stephanie's state
>of mind and the way the animals were being kept? It's one thing to
>have a love for animals, it's another to be able to afford to operate
>a shelter.

Nobody knows if Stephanie had volunteers or not. We would suspect that
she didn't have any because we can't imagine anyone going in there and
not being very upset at what they saw.

>9. Why hasn't any information been forthcoming about this, except
>"donating money" information- there was absolutely no reason for this
>to have happened. I understand getting in over your head, I don't
>understand putting animals you supposedly care about in a tortuous
>situation. I have talked to several people who have the means and
>would have taken them all if need be. She just needed to be willing
>to accept help that wasn't financial.

You make it seem as if Stephanie was asking for money....again. The
groups that rescued the ferrets are the ones that are asking for vet
care donations - Stephanie has nothing to do with it. You must begin
to separate Stephanie and her "shelter" from those that stepped in to
rescue her shelter ferrets.

A blurb was put on the National Ferret Rescue site, saying that we are
pursuing prosecution of Stephanie (and her husband, if possible) and
that disseminating information could put the case in jeopardy. All of
the information and pictures have been turned over to the authorities
who say they are doing everything they can to prosecute them to the
fullest extent of the law. That was all we could comment on at that
time.

>10. Why is Stephanie taking no accountability for this?

Because she's incarcerated.

Some have asked if they can help by fostering. Had this rescue been a
large number of ferrets we would have certainly asked for others for
help. But there were only 17 - a number that could be handled by the
various groups and their volunteers. Although their care was covered,
none of these groups had extra funds to pay the impending vet bill.
That's why we asked for donations. The groups involved could not pay
this vet bill without taking away from the shelter/foster ferrets
already in their care. After the ferrets are fully vetted and back to
normal, if homes are needed we will contact those people that have
expressed a desire to adopt. Folks are sending emails and getting
upset that their emails aren't answered in a timely fashion. Please
understand that although 17 extra ferrets is manageable, it is still
taking some time for everyone to get into the rhythm of caring for an
extra 17 kids. People are busy - understand that they may not get back
to you right away. No ferret will leave their care until it is 100%
and cleared for adoption by the vet.

We have raised funds to cover approximately 1/2 of the vet care needed
but are still in need of donations. Please - every bit helps here. As
stated above, the shelters and ferret groups that stepped in to rescue
these ferrets cannot afford the vet care. They are doing their part by
providing a happy and healthy home for these kids - which is a big job
in and of itself. The vet costs are about $88 per ferret for EVERYTHING -
exams, blood work, teeth cleaning/extraction and surgeries. You can't
ask for more than that. The vet has been an angel of mercy for all
involved. If you cannot donate money, a simple thank you note to the
vet would be appreciated.

Furetti has moved to Ohio and Ferret Moms and Front Range Ferrets have
taken over that operation. April is over there every day with Liz, the
owner of Totally Ferret, and other helpers to clean up and play with
these ferrets.

So yes they are now in good hands. With the Help of Lisa O, Barb Clay,
SOS, F.E.R.R.E.T, Renee Downs, Nanette, Nancy F, Cindy Scheidt,
National Ferret Rescue, Homestead, and all the countless other people
that helped with this would have been a heck of a lot harder.

Although we do not see Ferrets Etc. (Stephanie Sheme) on the AFA or SOS
shelter list, if you see Stephanie or her shelter listed with other
groups please notify them of what has transpired so Ferrets, Etc. can
be removed from the listing. If anyone should ever obtain information
that Stephanie is in possession of ferrets or sheltering again, please
bring it to the attention of SOS, F.E.R.R.E.T. or National Ferret
Rescue.