From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 07:53:44 -0500
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Judi Bell adrenal tumor and possible benefits of
>reducing light letter

I'm curious.  Dr. Bell states that the ferret has to be in utter darkness...
the kind in which you literally can't see your hand in front of your face.
That's really hard to come by.  The only time I remember was on bivouac in
the army more years ago than I want to admit, or when I tried my hand at
developing my own photo negatives.

The light level theory is not new.  It appears that adrenal disease in
European ferrets is not common and some attribute it to the fact that they
are, for the most part, kept in cages outside and not subjected to inside
lighting.  I have no clue, but I'm willing to bet that outside in Europe,
they are not subjected to absolute darkness at night.  One has to be awfully
far from any city to get that level of darkness.  How 'bout it European
residents?  Is it pitch black in your backyard?

I guess my point is, how important is absolute blackness?  Is there some
less-than-absolute value that is acceptable?

Unfortunately, if one wants to have a PET ferret, it will be extremely
difficult, if not impossible, to achieve that level of darkness for 14 or
more hours per day.  For most working people, that would mean locking them
up in a pitch black room at 6 a.m.  and not even cracking the door open
until at least 8 p.m.  If it could be determined that some level less than
absolute blackness is acceptable, it would be a bit easier to achieve.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC