From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 07:21:46 -0500
>From:    Kelli Rush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal Mystery
>We did the blood work, and everything pointed to a reacurrance of the
>adrenal problem.  Not long after, we made arrangements for surgery.
>Surprisingly nothing was found.  There was no growth on the left adrenal
>or a reaccurance on the right.  Neither, was there a mass to be found
>anywhere.  Her vet was very suprised, as was I, and has contacted a couple
>of other knowledgable vets in the field.

Personally, I would have made sure in advance that he didn't come out empty
handed.  The gland can often look fairly normal and still be a problem.

Case in point.  My Spaz had adrenal surgery on Nov. 18th.  When our shelter
vet went in (and he has LOTS of adrenal surgery experience), he looked at
the left and thought it looked normal.  He looked at the right and it seemed
to be *slightly* smaller than the left.  So he took the left, dissected it
and found that it's structure indicated a tumorous growth.  Today, just
over a month later, Spaz once again has a beautiful, full coat and he was
pretty ratty looking before surgery.

Now I'm not saying your vet isn't experienced, but if the right is mostly
gone then there's really nothing with which to compare the left gland.  If
your vet didn't know the exact size it should be, I think it would be hard
to say that it's not the problem. I'm no vet mind you.  Just my opinion.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC