From:
Christopher Stephan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 11:23:30 -0500
Hi all!  I am rather new to the FML, but I have really enjoyed reading
everyone s funny ferret stories.  So I thought I d contribute one (sorry
it's so long).

First, you should know about our fuzzy family.  There are two ferrets -
Mina, who has owned us for about 8 months, and Josette, who has owned us for
about 2 weeks.  We also have 6 gerbils (which have been with us for about 2
years), who live in a huge habitrail-type setup.

When Mina first came home with us, we were concerned about how she would
respond to the gerbils.  One of the larger gerbil cages sits on the floor,
as we can t fit the entire setup on the cart we bought.  We had read in a
book from the library that ferrets are mousers, so if one owned rodents,
they would need to be kept securely away from a ferret (as if that s
possible).  Well, after watching her for some time, the only interest she
showed in the gerbils was climbing on their cages and their cart.  She didn
t even notice THEM.  The only mouse she ever went after was our computer pen
mouse - if the cord hangs down low enough, she jumps at it and pulls the pen
mouse down and "attacks" it.  (I guess she s a techno-mouser.)

About a week ago, I was on the computer reading the FML, and Josette was
sleeping.  Mina wanted be let out to play, so I let her out and went back
to reading.  I heard her in the next room trying to climb up the gerbil
house, but as she s always trying that, I didn t pay much attention.
Suddenly, I heard a louder than usual sound, and thought I better check it
out.  I walked around the corner and my heart stopped.  Mina was IN the
gerbil cage - nose to nose with one of the gerbils!  I flew over there and
pulled her out immediately.  She gave me one of her irritated ferret
hisses.  I checked the gerbils, and they were all fine.

OK, so I turn off the computer and join Mina and the gerbils in the living
room.  To avert this happening again, I taped the gerbil cage closed.  Mina
continued to play around the gerbil cage, but, having no success getting
in, she started to knock over and play with the bag that is filled with
boxes for the gerbils to chew on.  I started reading a book.  I glanced up
to see what she was up to, but she had made such a mess with the boxes I
couldn t see her.  I looked at the gerbil cage, and it looked as though one
of the gerbils was halfway out of the cage in the hole where the water
bottle usually is.  I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I
walked across the room to check it out.  Sure enough, Mina had removed the
water bottle, and was "freeing" the gerbils.  She was standing a few inches
back, waiting for the gerbil to come out, and the gerbil was standing
halfway out of the hole, looking up and Mina with a look like she was
thinking, "that has got to be the biggest mutant gerbil I have EVER SEEN!"
Needless to say I quickly put the gerbil back in the cage and replaced -
and taped down - the water bottle.  There hasn t been another attempted
gerbil breakout in the last week, but you never know what ferret plan Mina
has up her furry little sleeves.

Chris and Vanessa and
Mina - "I m The Gerbil Liberator!"
Josette - "Did I miss something while I was sleeping?"
the gerbils - "Who was that giant white creature?"