From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 23:56:59 -0400
RE: The Female Ferret at the Store With Portnoy
That little girl ferret at the store with Portnoy sounds a lot like Knuks was
when we got her. Boy did she bite hard! We took her home anyway and within a
couple of days she had calmed down immensely. The store had been feeding her
dog kibble that she couldn't even get her tiny mouth on! We noticed that she
bit hardest when she was hungry. I hope that little ferret finds a home where
the people understand how to take care of her. Knuks is the *most*
affectionate ferret we have. I never would have guessed it from first seeing
her. Lots of love makes a big difference.

RE: Muzzles
I agree with Debbie Riccio (and Jeanne S. &...)--a muzzle would send a
negative message to the public. People associate the need to muzzle an animal
with that animal being vicious. We bring our kids with us to store promotions
for the magazine and have had no problem. We have to deal with people telling
us how terrible it is for us to keep these "wild" animals in a cage. And how
they bite all the time. How they "turn" on you. It would prove all those
people correct if we showed up with muzzled ferrets. If you're concerned
about your ferrets and strangers, don't bring your ferrets with you. OR, just
offer the back of the ferret for people to pet. People can see how sweet
ferrets are by how they interact with you.

Mary
Sabrina, Ralph, Marshmallow & Knuks

PS: Denise--I'm not _that_ young : - ). The B/W photo really helps. Actually,
I'm 31. [I'm not old, either! ;->.]