Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:01:41 -0800
I also am disturbed by the Vet bashing on this list.  We recently lost a
sweet dog.  In Nov. she developed a wheeze and cough.  Slight fever.  Vet
prescribed antibiotics.  No real response, so ten days later he took a
chest ex-ray.  He thought possible pneumonia, did a *lung wash* with
culture, nothing positive really showed.  Tried a different antibiotic.
Still no real response.  Early Dec.  he put her on Pred.  A week later she
was in pain, possible ulcer, prescribed carafat.  I'm now saying *I FEEL
like we are missing something.* He spent time with us explaining the side
effects of the meds, etc.  and he felt that this could be a case of asthma
due to some allergy.  A week went by, again she is in obvious pain and
vomiting.  I stopped the pred and antibiotics.  (my decision) She felt
better for a few days, then the breathing became more labored.  I insisted
we WERE missing something and another ex-ray was taken.  She was full of
cancer and lived less than 2 weeks before we had her kindly put to sleep.
Do I blame this Vet.  No.  The cancer did not show on the first ex-ray
taken 6 weeks earlier.  He treated her for what he felt was a proper
diagnosis.  He cried along with me when we and two other Vets at the
hospital compared the two ex-rays.  I could complain about the $1428 this
cost, only to loose her.  I could complain that he MIGHT have missed
something in the first ex-ray.  I blame myself for not asking for another
ex-ray sooner.  She was my responsibility and it was MY gut feeling.  We
have another dog and will continue with this Vet.  No bashing here.

In Touch, Ardith

mailto:[log in to unmask]