From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:41:03 -0700
My ferret Martin had a reaction to his annual distemper vaccine yesterday.
I waited the amount of time suggested by the vet (actually, she suggested
20 minutes, I waited 1/2 an hour), and then I took him home and put him
in his cage.  He started reacting about an hour after he had gotten the
vaccine.  Scared my pants off, I've never had a ferret reaction to any
vaccination before.  He got really lethargic and apparently had some bloody
stools though all I saw was the blood.

He's okay now, he was real out of it all day yesterday.

My question:
His vet says that now Martin will have to be pretreated before any
vaccinations (get an antihistamine) and will have to stay at the vet's the
entire day.  She says that he will probably react again.  This vet is very
nice but very cautious about treating ferrets...is this overkill or
necessary?  I was just wondering b/c I've never had this experience before.

Minta