From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:16:22 -0500
My husband and I have sort of become a shelter, and we try not to be
judgmental about the people who are giving their ferrets to us.  After all,
at least they cared enough to make the effort to find a shelter rather than
just give them to the Humane Society.  (Our local Humane Society kills
ferrets!)

However, the sweet little girl my husband picked up yesterday makes it
really hard.  She is about three years old, and was given to us because her
owner was allergic to her.  Well, lo and behold this ferret had no litter
box!  The poop was piled up in the corners of her cageso it's no wonder
someone could be allergic to that.  We put her in a clean cage with a
litterbox and some nice bedding and a snuggle sack, and she's eating TF like
there's no tomorrow and using the litterbox.  And she hadn't had any shots
either because the original owner's vet told them that an inside ferret
didn't need them.

My husband asked if we should call the lady back and tell her she now had a
litter trained ferret and I said NO WAY!  We already have someone who's
fallen in love with her and will probably adopt after our ten day waiting
period.  The ups and downs of shelter life!

Sara and Kurt Petersen
FURRY