From:
Kirk & Gaye Stantis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:02:40 -0500
How do you get folks to come in and buy ferrets on a whim?  How do you
practically guarantee just anyone buying a ferret whether or not they have
the "right stuff" that it takes to be a committed , responsible pet owner?
Well, if you are like a pet store in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, when you go
out of business, you sell off your ferrets for $10!  Yes, that's TEN DOLLARS,
FMLers!  Kind of like picking out a hamster... only a lot of those are going
for more these days.  My husband works in Stevens Point and heard this from
some women at work today who said these ferrets were going for a song.  This
makes me furious.  Doesn't put much value on their little lives now, does
it?  Heck, it costs more to adopt one at the Humane Society or a ferret
shelter.  How much effort are the people buying these going to put into
maintaining these creatures if they only invested $10.  Sure, if it was one
of us, we would..  cuz we care enough to subscribe to this list and learn
everything we can about them..  but the average person walking into a pet
store doesn't give much thought about what lays down the road when all they
see is that adorable fuzzy face and a $10 price tag.  *sigh*

Gaye & The Weasel Women.....
Ferret Bueller (home today from yet another surgery) & Houdini
Dookin' Good!