From:
Jason Creager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:22:56 -600
Hi everyone.

Sorry I spoke in generalities, albeit small ones.  I meant to re-word the
post to include "very highly unlikely" and all those other qualifying
comments, but after a 13 hour day, I just hit <S>end and went to bed.

My original intent was to imply that the law was wrong, etc.  But, I did
learn that there have been exactly three cases of bat to human rabies
transmission in the past ten years, all of whom were (notice the past tense)
spelunkers.  It appears that the transmission was from guano.

So, to draw this to a logical conclusion, ferrets that are raised in caves
that house rabid bats are at risk.

   :)

jwc

[Moderator's note: Huh?  In 1995 alone, 4 people died of rabies associated
with a bat strain of rabies.  In one case, a 13 year old girl in Connecticut
was apparently bitten while in her house.  The other cases were farmers, not
spelunkers.  And in 1988-1992, 312 bats in New York State tested positve for
rabies.  [MMWR, Vol 45, No 10]

I like bats, I really do.  I think they get a bad rap.  But there are *some*
rabid bats, no doubt.  BIG]