From:
"Kurt D. Springs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 22:17:14 -0400
Hi to all my friends on the FML,

First off Tricia: I doubt that any one can ferret proof 100%.  I know my
ferrets constantly surprise me.  It comes with the territory.  We learn from
the mistakes and our fuzzies will be a little safer in the furture.  When
ever a disaster or near disaster occurs, we all ask ourselves what else we
could have done.  Why didn't we see or realize that?  If you didn't feel so
baddly, then you would be a bad mommy.  You stayed with your fuzzy once you
realized something was wrong, and kept at it until the drug passed through
his system.  You are also aware of how easily we can underestimate their
cleverness.  Those are the signs of a good parent.  Just remember.  The
ferret is a clever animal, sometimes too clever for its own good.  Never be
complacent about how safe your house is.

To the annonomous parent of the Late timy and Marisol: I'm sorry about your
losing Timmy.  After my experiance with Paddington's death, I have to
believe that when our fuzzies leave this life, they are waiting for us in
the next.  If your still having a nipping problem with Marisol, try
scruffing her when she does it and yelling "No!" into her face.  My Mhaire
is of a similar temperment, but she knows not to nip me any more.  Our
ferrets have diffrent personalities and different ways to show affection.
Kian, like Timmy, is a cuddler.  Mhaire shows her affection by trying to
entice me to play with her.  She only take cuddling for so long be for
squirming to be put down.  Marisol sound like she might have a similar
temperment.  Introducing a new ferret may be a rough experiance, but in the
long run it may help you both put Timmy's death behind you.  Som e
techniques I would sugest are: 1) Find a local ferret shelter and see if
they'll let you bring Marisol to meet some adoptees.  This may make it
easier to find a ferret that she will have an easier time getting along
with.  2) If you can't do this you may just have to do what everyone else
does.  Pick a ferret as best you can and hope for the best.  You may have
some battles for dominance, but they're not as bad as they seem.  Best of
luck.