From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:41:43 -0500
As the states fall like dominoes adopting quarantines due to the 1998 rabies
compendium, it's hard not to think about Kodo and all the other ferrets who
were needlessly killed before this document was released.

Families of ferrets involved in legal battles in Kansas, Maryland, Michigan
and other states underwent great personal sacrifices as they tried to save
their beloved ferrets.  Many other people worked tirelessly behind the
scenes trying to change policy and laws; hundreds of ferrets whose names we
will never know were needlessly seized and killed.

Because of internet, people around the world became involved with Kodo's
case and knew that his family--Bob Jacobs and Kitty Zimmer--went to great
lengths trying to save him.  Like other families trying to save their
beloved ferrets, Bob and Kitty's lives were totally disrupted.  Bob and
Kitty have since moved out of Saginaw and are presently not on internet,
though they are still actively involved with ferrets and recently donated
some wonderful items to the internet auction.

If you would like to send a note or holiday card to Bob and Kitty, Marsha
Stanek has graciously volunteered to forward mail to them.  Cards can be
sent to:

Marsha Stanek
1150 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706
(please note on the bottom of the envelope that it's for Bob and Kitty)
or, e-mail wishes for them can also be sent to Marsha at:

A while ago Marsha wrote:
"Yesterday I found out that my state, Wisconsin, is going to go along with
the rabies compendium.  We are so happy, not to mention it is saving me big
bucks and frustration.  We were in the midst of sending letters to vets and
trying to change laws.  It would have been a long tedious and probably
unsuccessful task.  The postage on each letter was 50 cents - not counting
stationery, time, etc.

"Last night I thought that we owe this all to Bob and Kitty and poor little
Kodo.  I don't think it would have happened if we hadn't all made a stink
and our feeling known.  An old friend sent me an article from the East
Lansing paper that was quoting me about boycotting Michigan products.  To
get to the point - I added up my checkbook and had a little more than I
anticipated and thought -I'm going to send Bob and Kitty a card and a
check...(not a fortune, but a little extra for Christmas)."

This is not an appeal for money; I know that Bob and Kitty will be very
happy to receive everyone's good wishes and to know we are still thinking
about them.  And if you would like to do something extra, Marsha has some
ideas about internet access so please contact her.

Thanks very much!

Ronnie DiComo

P.S. I think a lot of us don't know the stories of the other ferrets and
would be very interested in hearing about them and keeping their memory
alive.
P.P.S. We'd also like to hear about the ones who got away.