From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:52:29 -0500
Troy Lyn,
disheartened, but unfortunately not surprised.  Please what was the
reasoning???  Is it based on rabies????  Why are they taking in surrenderas
and vaccinating for distemper-- IF rabies is their fear???  We have the same
type of problem here-- though actually the shelters that take ferrets in in
VT and some NH municipalities will simply put ferrets down -- whether or not
they are stray if they can't find a ferret shelter to take them.  This is
where the ferret community needs to network with the sheltering community.
This is where we NEED to concentrate to make an impact.  Based on what the
direction and stances are of the HS system-- and the reality that each year
120,000 plus ferrets entering the pet industry through retail or breeders--
we must start to work NOW to build a better understanding of the domestic
ferret in the sheltering community.

We are part of the NH humane organization -- even so the majority of the
SPCA and Humane shelters opt to NOT process ferrets.  I am participating
with the hope that they will see the ferret is a domestic pet that can be
handled in shelter settings-- though at this point I really cannot attest to
any warmer reception than when we first started.

Troy Lyn, I want to ask you and all the others across this country top start
educating the shelter system-- cordially, politely but with vigor-- perhaps
if we all work in our own areas-- the barriers will break down little by
little and the fears of ferret disposal at the hands of the shelter (outside
the ferret community) community will not be such a stark reality.

Alicia
another shelter Mom
who really is concerned!