From:
Barbkitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:42:20 -0500
Do pine shavings cause respiratory problems or allergies like cedar does?
I'm asking because I went into a pet store the other day, where they had 3
itty-bitty ferrets.  I asked to see the albino, and the girl who worked
there brought out the squirmy little bundle to me.  Then he started
sneezing.  Hard!  And he just kept sneezing, one after another.  I had
ferret snot all over my shirt and in my hair.  He just wouldn't stop.  The
girl who worked there said that all three had been doing it a lot.  I told
her it might be the shavings.  Then the manager said that the shavings were
pine, not cedar, so that *couldn't* be the problem.  I asked what she
thought was the problem and she said something about it being cold
outside...which I thought was pretty stupid.  Were the little ones having a
reaction to the shavings, or did they all have a cold?  The constant
sneezing didn't seem like a cold to me...

Also, while I was holding the little snot blowing machine, a woman in a fur
coat came up to me and said, 'Oh, how cute!  How much would something like
that cost?' That's what she said.  I was horrified.  My first impulse was to
inform her that mine has never mastered the litter box, and that they steal
evrything.  Instead, I answered her question, sort of.  I told her that mine
cost $145.  Then the girl that worked there said 'They cost $175.' Heh heh.
The lady left.

It's true that there are an incredible amount of people who buy animals just
because they are cute, and for some reason they think that the animal will
take care of itself.  People don't realize that their pet will be a
responsability, a nuisance, and a freind, not jus an ornamant.  And I use
that word literally.  Once when I was at the humane society, a woman came in
with a pretty calico cat.  It was just a bit pudgy, and it was clean with no
fleas.  We thought this person probably had a good reason for leaving the
animal, they usually do when the animal is well taken care of.  But when we
asked why she was getting rid of it, she told us that she just redecorated
her house, and the cat didn't match anymore.  We were all rendered
speechless.  I picked up the cat , went into the other room, and cried.  I
couldn't believe she didn't even lie about it.  How could anyone think that
that was alright?  It completely blew my mind.

Here I go preaching to the choir, something we all seem to do a lot here.  I
always love it when I read posts that say things like 'I've been reading the
fml for three months and I've finally made up my mind to get a ferret.'
That's the kind of person a fuzzy wants for a pet.  Someone who knows what
they are getting into, but doesn't really mind ;) Well, I've carried on for
quite long enough.  Kisses to all the beloved fuzzies out there.
--Barbara Thomas

P.S.  Condolences to all those who have lost a loved one.  My heart
breaks every time I read about a ferret who crossed the Rainbow Bridge:(

|              your name here                                         |