From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:29:33 -0700
What exactly is a reputable private breeder?  I think that alot of folks
think anyone who is not a ferret mill (e.g. the big three) is a reputable
private breeder.

This is not true.

Backyard, and just plain bad, breeders can be very convincing, so it's up
to the customer to know what to look for and what questions to ask, so
that they can make an informed decision on whether or not someone is an
ethical, reputable private breeder before they do business.

While some may disagree, I consider a reputable breeder to be someone
who:

- tracks their lineages for health & longevity
- interviews their clients to make sure the ferret is going into the
  right home
- spay/neuter no sooner than 6 months of age
- does not descent (unless for a medical issue)
- does not sell to petstores
- does not sell kits to just anyone who has the money
- does not breed genetic defects
- does not ship ferrets sight unseen to someone they don't know
- requires a contract to be signed when the ferret changes hands which
  includes requiring the breeder to be notified if they can no longer
  keep the ferret
- ADV tests their stock to make sure they are negative and can verify
  that at any time if asked

If I missed anything, please feel free to add to it :)

Reputable breeders care about improving the species and breeding to the
standard of what the animal is meant to be.  The AKC and TICA have made
mistakes that I hope the ferret community can learn from.  Look at all
the dog/cat breeds that are overun with health issues due to breeding
for a certain look.  I hope that we are not going to go down that road.
Ferrets have enough problems as it is without adding to the pot.

Just something for folks to think about...

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/