From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:30:48 -0700
>I have looked over the color chart many times trying to color my own and
>understand what the colors are supposed to look like but so many that
>were winning didn't seem the best color for that ring.  Is this a normal

Can I ask what color chart you are looking at?  There are quite a few out
there and not only are many not correct, but there are different names
depending on what show standard it is based on, so that may be part of
the confusion.

I can only speak for AFA sanctioned or sponsored shows, but before
judging starts at each AFA show there is a color seminar given.  This is
where the color/patterns are explained and there are ferrets available
as examples so you can see what the judges are talking about.  I highly
encourage everyone to check it out next time you are at a show - and feel
free to ask questions!

Were you sitting at the specialty class area?  Before ribboning, each
judge explained (or should have - the ones I saw did) what the class was,
what they were looking for and then proceeded to ribbon the ferrets.
It's also encouraged that after the ribboning, if you have any questions
on why your ferret scored the way it did, to please ask the judge right
then.

>thing at shows or just this group's?  Is this like some dog shows, where
>unless you have shown and are part of a certain group, you don't place?

Nope, that's not the way it is at AFA shows, anyway.

With specialty classes, the judge knows the owner of the ferret since the
owner has to hand the ferret to the judge, but judges are required to be
as objective as possible and judge to that color/pattern standard.  The
standard is printed out and on the table, so you are more than welcome to
look it over.

The AFA does have a specialty judge program, but not everyone who was
judging was in the training program, so it's possible that maybe someone
who wasn't a judge and trained perhaps made a mistake, but I didn't hear
any issues about those judges.

You know, we really need more folks for the Specialty Judge Program, so
if you are interested in learning more about the color/patterns, we would
love to have you join us :)

>If I were to show there, would I have to be a member of the group to
>win?

Nope - you just have to enter and if your ferret is the best "insert
color/pattern here" that day you will win.  Well, if the ferret bites
the judge, that would cause you not to win :)

>... I have talked to several people trying to color and see if they
>think my ferrets show quality and they have all said yes, so I have
>no doubt they are up to par with those

Then please do show them next time :)  Although for color/pattern, I
would suggest talking to a trained judge to make sure that they are
entered in the correct color/pattern class, if you are in anyway unsure.

>Are there any shows that are geared toward the public and that first
>time winners win?  ...

I believe all shows are geared to the general public - they are primarily
to educate the public and raise money for ferret organizations, but to
have fun, as well.

First time winners will win if there ferrets are the right color/pattern
(for specialty) with the best coat.  I know quite a few folks who have
won the first time they've gone to a show.

>the judge's are a and I also noted that they seem to check ears and such
>during championship and not during specialty, is this a normal thing?

Yes, this is normal for AFA shows.  Most of the specialty classes are the
beauty pageants and they are judged on their color/coat condition and
judges impression (how well they fit the standard).  If they bite, of
course that would affect judges impression and they would be scored
lower or disqualified (if they drew blood).

In the structure specialty classes (shelter, senior, passport, physically
challenged), maintenance is looked at and scored accordingly.

>... health check is done.  Why aren't ferrets being checked, why just
>paperwork?  Are ferrets healthier out in Ohio?

There was a vet check at Ohio.  Every ferret that came in the door was
taken out of the cage and checked by a vet tech.  The paperwork was
checked at the same time.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Mary McCarty-Houser
AFA All Class Title Judge
www.ferret.org