Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:13:35 EDT
There are three symptoms that my Calvin had that did not seem unusual until
they were put together.  Three people have mentioned them in this weeks
posting.  It may be some other problem or just a fluke but when you have a
ferret with no hair loss it is hard to diagnose especially when you know
nothing about ferret problems.

1. Litterbox Problem Kimberly Thomas: Before I knew that my Calvin was
having an adrenal problem resulting from an enlarged prostrate gland, he
started using any corner that was handy.  He then started not backing up
all the way in the litter box when he was in his cage.  Pretty soon he kept
backing up and nothing happened.  Complete urinary blockage.  I don't want
to scare you but just keep you eyes open.

2. Bladder Infection Loraine: We rushed him to an emergency clinic where
he was put under and cathiterized.  He was only given a 20% chance to live.
His bladder had stretched and the blood vessels were all broken, not to
mention the septic that backed up into his system.  After the emergency was
over, he was only excreting "small amouts of urine" and this would happen
anywhere.  He gradually got a little better and was treated twice for a
bladder infection by two different vets.

3. Small amouts of urine Mildred Moore: As I stated above, Calvin was only
putting out small amounts of urine and then he started making noises when
he urinated or when he had a bowel movement.  These were pain noises and
it was pitiful ........... otherwise he acted perfectly normal.  NO OTHER
SYMPTOMS.  This went on way too long.  I did not know about the FML but I
did get ahold of Dr. Bruce Williams who called me personally on the phone.
He told me about the adrenal and prostrate swelling in males.  I took him
to our vet who referred me to Michigan State University.  They did and
ultrasound and preformed adrenal surgery on his left gland.  He is doing
well after almost 1 year but it took 5 months for these symptoms to
completely dissappear.

He is now showing aggressive behavior and I watch him closely.  I feel
horrible that I let this go on for so long - 7 months - but had no idea
that those were symptoms in the first place.  Hope none of you need to
experience this with your fuzzies.  I know I have written before but I
need to let everyone know.  He was only 2.5 years old when all this
started.  No other health problems.

Eunice Keely
Calvin (my baby boy) and Gypsy (my best girl)