From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 00:00:39 EST
As co-manager of an apartment complex I attended a Christmas Party that we
had for the children in the complex.  A lot of the families here have low
income levels and are on housing assistance.  We planned to have treats,
snacks, food and beverages.  Contacting some local businesses help us to
create goody bags with fruits for all who attended.

Naturally, since it was a childrens party, and since I consider myself a
"Fuzzy Ambassador" : ) , how could I go without bringing a "child" of my
own?  Since I expected a lot of noise and commotion, I decided to bring
HERSHEY, my mild mannered chocolate fert that I had gotten from the Oregon
Ferret Shelter.  Problem was HERSHEY was not used to wearing a harness or
lead.

Well, after a little coaxing (an a lot of ferretone) HERSHEY finally
succumbed to my foolish hooman whim.("Ok dad.  But the silly elf hat is
STILL out of the question!!!" <sigh>).

Well, HERSHEY, without a doubt, stole all the attention.  He loved it all
up as each and every kid wanted to pet and stroke him.  Even the adults,
many who have never seen a ferret, came flocking over with questions and
comments.  Several of our tenants were amazed to actually see and pet a
ferret.  A few more disclosed that they were had once owned ferrets.  A few
thought they were "illegal" or required special licenses.  Some wondered
how pets could be allowed in a complex with a "No Pets" Rule.  I explained
that the various laws that allowed "Assistive Animals" with a doctors
prescription in certain cases.  Yes, I have a prescription for my ferts
(Hmm, wonder if they're covered under my health plan??).

Even the Jolly Old Elf, Santa, could not supress his chuckling when HERSHEY
reached up and stole a cookie from my mouth (mmmmmm, oatmeal raisan !!!).
I allowed some of the children to come outside with us and romp with him.
It was a little cool and damp, but all seemed to have a blast.

Sheesh, I can almost imagine some of the kids will be coming to the office
asking, "Can HERSHEY come out and play???".

Kevin B and the ~~Silly~Slinky~Seven~~~
~Furrice~Simon~Hershey~Lacy~Socks~Sprite~Cuddles~
~Fur-Angel Lady~    ~Petey (just dookin' through)~   and Kimo the Sumo Cat