From:
Carrie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:15:23 PDT
Amen to Bob Church!!!  Thank you for expressing the very reasons we should
all be thankful to them instead of grumbling about how steep their prices
are!  I myself am a student trying to work my way into vet school, and I
will guarantee that it is much more difficult to be accepted than it is to
be accepted into med school.  Whereas the minimum GPA for OU med school is
3.0, the minimum GPA, to be competitive, needed to get into the OSU vet
school is 3.5.  Also, the OSU vet school pretty much requires some
extensive veterinary and animal experience, to show commitment.  In other
words, if you wanna be a vet, better start shoveling some horse dung!!  :)
The requirements are exceptionally stringent, and the schooling is grueling
(rhyme!) once you get in!  I've been asked why I want to pursue a vet
degree (companion animals and exotics), usually by people suggesting that I
do something "worthwhile" with my knowledge instead, but they just do not
understand.  I don't think finding a job doing something I generally enjoy
is worthless, and I do understand that it is a lot of hard work, but it is
worth it.  I have championed many an animal cause, and been disgusted at
many people for their views on animals.  Our pets bring us (usually) nearly
unconditional love.  They are living, breathing (usually!:)) creatures,
that only require the basics of living from us and give us so much more.
There have been studies done that suggest that exposure to pets can do a
lot in aiding people with illnesses, no matter what the illness is.  Thier
love helps keep our thoughts about that person who cut us off in traffic,
or the salesman that wouldn't shut up, or the rude customer we had to
endure, in check, reducing the stress with a cold, wet nose.  This is
universal, whether the pet be a ferret, cat, dog, iguana, cockatiel,
whatever.  And no one can deny that each pet has its own, special, unique
personality.  Except maybe fish.  :) This is what I try to explain to the
people that question my decisions.  And this is the paradigm that I will
work under for the rest of my life--every animal is special; it doesn't
matter if we don't understand what billybob sees in his pitbull, he loves
that animal, it is a part of his life, and it deserves the absolute best
care it can get.  Besides, I tell them, I'm a big girl now, I think I can
make an informed decision on my occupation.

Thanks, BIG, for letting me get that out.  I know it was a little off
the subject.

Carrie Moore
(with help from Loki and Balder)