From:
Carrie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 03:06:21 PDT
Hi, all, it's me again.

 ... I know there are (or were?) two shelters here, one in Sapulpa, and one
in Broken Arrow, but I cannot reach them by e'mail, and haven't had the
time to drive to either place to "ferret" them out.  ;) sorry.  Anyway,
being here in Stillwater, and occasionally encountering ferret owners by
accident, I decided I would try and remedy the situation by starting my own
ferret club.

Unfortunately, it is turning out to be a little tougher than I thought.

First, I have to have the time to dedicate to this.  I am a college
student, read: study, eat, study, classtime, study...sleep?  I am trying.

Second, there is a very very helpful pet store called Aqua Mart, that yes,
sells ferrets, but also educates each and every prospective owner about the
trials and tribulations of ferret ownership.  I actually saw the owner
refuse to sell his kit to a family because they were going to give it to
their child, who was 2, and make it "his" pet.  The owner objected to this.
I was impressed.  Anyway, he has agreed to give me the names and addresses
of all the people he knows of that has purchased a ferret or ferret
products, but more importantly he likes the idea of a club in town that can
educate more people and has said he would not only let me hang fliers in
his store, but he would inform others of my attempts.  Yay!  To anyone
considering a flame since I am condoning a pet store, let it be known that
I don't think there are any breeders in OK, at least none close...contact
me if I'm wrong.

Third, the meeting place.  Well, I've set the first meeting for January
(this semester is not conducive to any sort of extra-curricular
activity...:( ...) but my apartment sure isn't big enough for this, and the
only other place is the Stillwater community center.  Perfect, yes??  No.
It costs $30 to rent the room.  Now, I have absolutely no problem with
shelling out $30 for the first couple of meetings, but I, as a college
student, can't afford to meet there forever!!  That's really expensive for
me!!!  Right now... Any suggestions??  I haven't tried petitioning the
college for a meeting place (Oklahoma State University is local), but
considering no animals are allowed in the dorms, I can't see them being
ultra-willing to allow several ferrets in their meeting rooms...

Should the first meeting be ferret-less??  Or should I only bring my two??
I will definitely require proof of distemper/rabies vacc.  and harnesses or
carriers, but beyond that, what??

Any help at all would be appreciated.  I am planning (loosely) on starting
a small ferret shelter a few years down the road, but this needs to come
first and get established...

Please reply!!  Either directly to me, or to the fml, since Michael
McKinley is encountering the same things up in Seattle!!

Carrie Moore, Loki, and Balder

  ----      Their continuing mission: to leave no drawer
(/.  .\)    uninvestigated, to seek out new linatone, new
__ "_  ___  treats, to boldly poop where no ferret has
-///-\\\--  pooped before!