From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:53:22 -0400
Hey gang,

I like BIG's suggestion the best, let's cage the breeder!  and then the
ferrets will be "free".

*I* will DONATE the cage for this, and can clear a spot through my trees out
back to house him, might toss in some hay in the winter if he shivers too
much, but TX isn't as cool as KS, hmmm, anyone in say MA or ME or AK who
would like an 'unusual pet'??  I wonder, should we drag out the Tide, Lysol,
and water hose in say January to give him a good cleaning....(can you see my
evil grin?)?

I shouldn't go on like this, but picturing all this in my mind for some
reason gives me great pleasure!!  (Please, no flames....I am only kidding...
<I think>)

Seriously, TLE is right about this poor guy simply being uneducated about
ferrets.  I, too, fit that category just a few years ago.  I had to actively
*search out* information when I got involved (fell in love) with ferrets.
Luckily, I was exposed to them as a "pet", not just another animal to breed
and profit on.  I got to see their wonderful personality and intelligence
first, not the nasty aggressive behavior of some breeder-ferrets not kept as
pets.

I think there is a lesson here.  There is a serious "lack of accurate
information available" to the general public about ferrets.  We all need to
make it our personal mission to educate folks about these wonderful
creatures.  If there is no club in your area...START ONE!  If there is one,
support it, and help in the education of everyone in your community,
*especially* breeders, pet shops, and vets.  Use diplomacy and tact, and you
will go farther I promise in helping ferrets everywhere.

I was surprised and very pleased to learn that this man does keep lots of
food and fresh water available for the ferrets, unfortunately, even some pet
stores don't do that, and alot of breeders don't make the extra effort to
monitor these things closely enough.  I was also very happy to hear that he
listened, and learned from the group that visited him.  That is a big
plus!!!  If someone simply 'doesn't know' how can you fault them, especially
when they are willing to change when they do learn the truth/proper care.

**EDUCATION**  that is where we need to work the hardest.

These conditions sound awful, true, but I can promise you that somewhere
there are ferrets in a much worse situation.  We can't reach or know about
them all, but they are out there.  Poor Buddy, one of my rescues last
summer, was practically dead when I got to him.  His owner was keeping him
in a shed out back, in temps over 100 degrees, who knows how hot the shed
really was, but Buddy suffered a heatstroke that day, and maybe several
before that, I don't know.  But the guy obvioiusly had no clue that ferrets
can't take heat.  Buddy survived because I intervened and he is getting
along pretty well now.  What scares me is how many other ferret owners (not
to mention breeders) are out there doing exactly the same thing, and how
many ferrets actually *die* from improper treatment due simply to a lack of
accurate information about ferret-keeping.  If your circumstances prevent
you from actively educating folks, how about buying "one copy" of Deborah
Jeans book and donating it to your library?  I think that would have a
wonderful impact!

Just my .02 worth.

Give your fuzzies extra hugs today and tell them how great they have it,
many don't.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter