From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:20:50 -0500
Hi, All!

I'm writing to share my frustration regarding the "ferret fad" that seems to
be prevalent nowadays.  To compound my sadness and frustration, I had a less
than great experience with my local petstore.  I spent time and energy
compiling a little ferret info.  packet for the petstore.  I included the
ferret mini-FAQ along with a small "ferret bibliography" of my own devising
as well as a few other articles, etc.  About a month ago, I brought a dozen
copies of this packet to the pet store, met with the on-duty manager, and
chatted with her for a few minutes.  I offered her the info.  packets,
suggested that she read through them, and suggested that she might hand them
out to people who were either purchasing a ferret (they had about 8 little
ones at the time) or to people who were interested in ferrets.  While she
seemed a little cautious, I figured that she would, of course, need time to
review the info.  to be sure it was not "propaganda." I stopped back a few
days ago.  I asked her if anyone had been interested in the information.
She said that "no one had asked about ferrets." Meanwhile, the store had
sold all of those eight little guys.  She said, "Oh, they all went to good
homes." (I know when I am being patronized.) The long and short of it was
that I was given "the brush off." I am very unhappy and frustrated
especially since I know that this pet store is the only place in my
immediate area where a ferret can be purchased.  I really want to reach out
and meet other local ferret owners and help them to educate themselves about
their buddies.  I'm considering trying to start a local club.  Does anyone
have suggestions/recommendations for how to do so?  or for what to do when
you've started one?

For those of you who have had good luck with local petstores,
congratulations!  For those of you who are frustrated about the "ferret
fad," maybe you would have better luck with your local petstore.  Try
approaching them with an info.  package.  I would be glad to send you a
copy of mine if it would help.

I hope that we can make a difference.

Gina
and
Paleface  (I hope my little cousins are all in loving, responsible homes...)