From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 17:13:47 -0400
Hi, me again!

I won't belabor the issue, but I do wish to politely point out that ferrets
and cats have a completely different claw structure.  Someone recently
posted out that declawing worked out well for his/her cats.  While I'm not
crazy about declawing any animal, I can say that cats have a retractable
claw that can be removed with less damage to the animal.  Ferret's claws are
_not_ retractable as we all know.  Their claws are more akin to our
fingernails or, better still, to those of a dog.  To remove a ferret's
claws, you must essentially remove their finger tips and finger nail.
Imagine how painful that would be.

Perhaps this subject may serve as a reminder to pet owners and prospective
pet owners that you must carefully consider the purchase of any animal.
When you take them into your home, you must consider the good _and_ bad
points of pet ownership.  If you are not willing to deal with the negative
consequences or find creative solutions to them, you may need to reconsider
the type of pet you are acquiring or the idea of having a pet at all.
Please do not consider this a flame; I don't intend it in that way at all.

Gina
and
Paleface