From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 23:03:43 -0400
> From:    "Jessica, Justine and Hal" <[log in to unmask]>
> I read the letter from the HSUS posted on yesterdays newsletter and when
> viewing it unemotionally I must admit that many of their conclusions have
> some merit that should be considered without emotion.

I half heartedly agree with some of their statements but not their
'conclusion'.

> Can aanyone tell me what the rabies incubation period is for a
> ferret as well as for a human bittten by any rabid animal.

THe French have completed these test for ferrets.  No one in the US
accepted European results unfortunately.  BTW no one know the shedding
period for horses but horses are big money and thus big politics.

> From:    Jazmyn Concolor <[log in to unmask]>
> RE:Kytyn <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Exotic animal alert in Loudoun County
>    There seems to be a lot of places trying to regulate ferrets lately.
> I wonder if its due to the efforts of the ferret hater from the HSUS?

Read the facts on the Loudon County situation.  The wolf and hybrids are
the 'problem' the county is trying to deal with.

>     No exotics should be regulated as it is unconstitutional to regulate
> peoples rights to keep pets, reguardless of what the pet is.

There is no reason to believe in a constitutional right to keep any pet
you want.  Getting extreme I admit but how about an elephant in New York
City?  Even if kept and not running loose it would be very silly.  How
about Cobras?  Do you really believe there is a reason to keep animals
that would as soon kill you as anything as pets?  Ferrets are a domestic
animal.  THey are already accustomed to living with humans and are
particularly well adapted for city living these days.  Overstating issues
and mixing ferret issues with fairly redical ideas does not help plead
the case for sanity in our uneducated leaders.  Claiming an obviously
untrue 'constitutional right' hurts more than helps.

> RE: Gary Kaskel <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: HSUS statement
> Ferrets are not very likely to get rabies unless locked in a cage
> with a rabid raccoon..or injected with the desease.

The most recent cases of ferrets with rabies in virgina is from ferrets
that got 'loose' and found a wild rabid raccoon.  No need for locking in
a cage or hypodermic injection.  The point to remember about ferrets and
rabies is that they don't seem to go through the furious stage that dogs
do.  Ferrets don't seem to get wild and frothy at the mouth.  They tend
to curl up and die.  Fear of rabies is not just a ferret issue.  Almost
all mammals are considered by the unknowing to be rabies carriers -
really frightening to me is the number of people that woory about
reptiles as rabies sources.

> > Sterilization
>   Concidering the current shortage of ferrets, due to the demand, this isn't
> likely to become a problem.  Also, ferrets are seasonal breeders and not as
> easy to breed as cats and dogs, who can have more then one litter a year.
> Spaying and neutering does reduce the oder, but it should be up to the
> owner if the chose to breed their animals..

Jills can often be bred twice a year.  The better breeders however don't
let them get pregnant twice.  The 'shortage' of ferrets will likely last
no more than a year.  Next year we'll have problems with shelter
overcrowding in Michighan.  I don't disagree about allowing choice but I
discourage other from ferret breeding.  If they are persistant I'll help
in anyway I can.

> Question about milk:
> I thought that milk induce diarrhea in ferret!?!  Are UK ferrets and
> kitten are differents?

The main concern is quantity.  A couple drops aren't likely to cause
problems.  Also a point to remember is that in the first half of this
century the 'normal' diet of a ferret was graham bread soaked in milk.

About the Loudoun County situation:

I've already posted in paraphrased form most of what Vickie has written
and said so I'm not going to fill bandwidth with redundant information.
Ferrets and ferret owners ought to be proud of the way Vivkie McKimmey
has handled this situation.  She has our thanks.  Vickie and other LAFF
members will continue to attend any pertinent county committee meetings.
I will post if anything else comes up.  (Nothing is happening in the
Maryland Eastern shore so nothing new to post about that.)

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets