From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 09:46:41 -0500
I realized last Thursday that my older ferret (Skittles, around 7) had
lost a lot of weight. With two other ferrets in the cage (both under 1
year old) I didn't know if she was eating. She was lethargic and weak
Friday and seemed to be dehydrated (her scruff stayed pinched when you
squeezed it). I sent her to my vet with a friend, who promptly told me
to take her to another vet as she was not familiar with all the problems
ferrets can have. (I thought she knew about ferrets and was surprised
that I was referred elsewhere)

I was pretty upset at having to wait til the next day to take her, but
Skits was okay (the same, no better) by Saturday morning. She seemed to
be drinking a lot but not eating anything. They said she was dehydrated
and squeezed a urine sample from her (Skits didn't enjoy that much, but
being the patient ferret she is, and sick to boot, she just hung there
and grimaced) They said she had blood in her urine but no sign of
diabetes.

He then said he need a blood sample and tried to get some blood from
her. Poor Skittles! Their blood vessles shrink when they're dehydrated,
and the vet had a devil of a time finding a vein. After a long time (it
seemed like forever) of probing and probing for a vein, he shaved her
neck and tried again. Before he finally managed to find a vein Skittles
had three holes in her neck and and I'm sure she was very, very sore. :(
The vet didn't look too happy about it, either. (He seems to genuinely
care about the critters)

He only was able to get out 1/4 of what he needed (and normally would
have had no problem getting). He told me about a procedure of getting
blood directly from the heart, but he said he used to do it all the time
but since he "had trouble" with one animal (I assume it died) he doesn't
do it routinely anymore. (I think he was asking did I want to risk
Skittles dieing to find out exactly what was  wrong with her or would I
rather try to get her rehydrated and try the neck again in a few days).

We decided to treat her with antibiotics (it's a name I've never seen
before, it's white and you don't have to refrigerate it). They gave her
sub-q fluids (she had two camel humps when I brought her home) and she
was perkier already, even before we left the office.

I'm really worried about what is wrong with her, but the vet said he's
hoping it's an intestinal infection (which would explain the blood in
the urine). I'm worrying that I'm going to run out of money to treat her
and really don't want her to die, but this visit was $58 alone and
without all the blood tests he wanted to run. :( A tumor has not been
ruled out yet. We're all hoping the antibiotic helps.

After she came home from the vet, she had a couple runny BMs and
yesterday she had a really totally disgusting one that was nothing more
than blood and mucus. (oh ick) I've been force-feeding her chicken
babyfood mixed with cooked egg yolk and she fights me every
dropper-full. I have no idea how *much* of this stuff I need to get into
her to keep her alive. She seems to be drinking on her own, but will
only sniff at the food dish. I have her in a separate cage now so I can
monitor food/water intake and BMs. (The cat decided to help her by
eating all the food by snatching one pawful at a time, so I had to put
her cage in a different spot. *sigh*)

The poor thing is weak and boney, but she's moving around better
(certainly fighting me more vigorously) but she still seems dehydrated
to me. I wish I knew what kind of fluid they use. I know how to do sub-q
shots and would feel better if she had more fluid in her, considering
how loose her BMs are. At least they're poop-colored again. I guess the
babyfood is doing *some* good.

Any encouragement or suggestions from the vets on this list would be
appreciated. Heck, any encouragement from *anyone* would be appreciated!
:)

--Barb-- (Snowball, Katie and sick Skittles)