From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:57:36 -0500
Excerpts from mail: 7-Mar-95 FERRET Digest - 5 Mar 1995 .. by Automatic
processor@CUNY
> My point?  Don't underestimate children's abilities to learn!  If shown
> constantly from the very first instant, even a young child will quickly
> learn that animals must be treated carefully and gently.  Children are not

This has been my experience, too. I didn't have animals as a small
child, but somehow learned how to be gentle. And I've *always* had pets
in my house (usually some assortment of dogs and cats, but also small
rodents and reptiles) and my kids grew up knowing that you do NOT hurt
animals.

If a baby was too rough with the dog, I always scolded the kid in front
of the dog. That way the dog knew I was in charge. If a kid hurt the
dog, and the dog snapped, I scolded them both. The dog knew I would
intervene for her, but that biting was not allowed. The kid knew that if
they hurt the dog, they'd be in trouble. (although I did have one
hyperactive kid and when he was small I used to put the DOG in the
playpen so she could have some peace and quiet)

--Barb--