From:
"Dixon H. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 1994 19:59:00 EST
To "Anon" Sender in the FFZ concerning your message in FML Issue 933:

The technical name is Cushing's disease, as you probably already
know by now. A common malady. Our spade male is five or six now.
He had his right adrenal removed in March. We hoped is was a
simple case. It was not. About early July Scooter went down hill
so fast and was so weak we thought we would lose him. But we
caught it in time, I guess. The Vet has him on a regimin of oral
anabolic steriods which has help him regain weight after a steep
weight lose despite a seemily normal appetite. He will be on
lysodren for the rest of his life, however long that is. The
latter compensates for the over production of adreniline in the
one remaining and inoperable adrenal gland.

The over symptoms are just as you described in your e-mail: hair
loss near the base of the tail, belly hair loss (not much there
after the operation anyway). Very great exaustion and lethargy.

But he's all better now, seemingly at least. We'll settle for that
for now. The consensus seems to be that Cushing's is life
threatening and while it cannot be cured, it can be controlled.

Greetings from Dallas....