Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 1994 15:24:09 CDT
To get more information about Cardiomyopathy, send the
following single line in the body of an E-Mail to
[log in to unmask]: Get Cardio Disease Ferret.
Thanks to Pamela Greene for the information in
Ferret List 894.

To Chris & Scooter: I would have the vet check out
Scooter's heart & lungs. An X-ray would be even better
to check out his heart. I had three ferrets die of
cardiomyopathy. All three had different symptoms.
My first ferret Hun-Hun had a rapid heart beat
and he coughed up fluid. He was first diagnosed with
pneumonia, but was later found to have cardiomyopathy.
I also had Sable whose heart & lungs sounded fine, but
she died two months later after the vet examined her.
Her lungs filled up with fluids, due to heart problems
that could have been detected on an Xray.
I lost Faucett this month to heart & renal problems.
All three ferrets had a rapid breathing pattern.
I think that is the first thing to look for, and
if the ferret seems to be less active. It is
important to get medical help as soon as possible.
It can slow down the progression of the disease and
help the ferret to be more comfortable.

To Carla regarding Baretta: I am sorry for your loss. I
know how frustrating this disease can be, since I have
lost so many loved ferrets to it.
E-mail me if you need any more information that you think
I could provide.
                               Judith Gallipeau and the
                               ferrets: Delilah, Weezul,
                               Teebone & Fred.