From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 17:36:51 -0500
To Kevin about Casper not wanting to get out of the cage:

      I've noticed similar behavior from Nibbles and I am her first owner.  If
she just woke up, I'll open up the top entrance to the cage.  She'll walk
up to it and grab the top with her front paws and give a big stretch,
occassionally flopping over.  She'll then get up again and as I reach in
to grab her and help her out, she'll back away as if to say "I can do it
myself, I don't need your help."  To which I say, "Fine, climb out
yourself."  She then grabs the top and pulls herself up.  At this point
she realizes that she has nowhere to put her back feet if she gets them
up high enough and looks at me as if to say, "Well, you going to help me
or not?"  To which I say, "Oh sure, NOW you want my help."  and I pick
her up and put her on my shoulder.  I'm usually then rewarded with her
sniffing my hair and messing it up.  Of course this happens when I'm
getting ready for work mostly, and I say "Thanks a lot!"

In other news:
        Looks like I'm going to have to buckle and ferret-proof my room.
Nibbles has realized that jumping off the nightstand not only does not
hurt, but also gives her access to the floor.  She jumps to the floor
whenever she gets a chance.  She has also taken to leaping onto me, off
of me and using me as a stepping stone.  The other day I was searching
for something in my closet while she was on the bed.  In one fluid
motion, she leaped from the bed to my shoulder then from my shoulder to a
shelf in the closet.  Amazing.

(For you Quantum Leap fans)
Dr. Nibbles Ferret, realizing that it is possible to floor-travel within
ones own lifetime, she leaped off the Nightstand Accelerator. . .and
vanished.

Jim and Dr. Nibbles Ferret, Phd.