From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 15:10:32 -0500
Dear all FML subscribers,

        Although I find this forum very entertaining and informative, between
this list and the  newsgroup Rec.Pets I have become very bothered by
certain attitudes.  The statement said recently regarding Marshall Farms
and not buying their food is very distressing to me.  It fits in with a
lot of other attitudes on Rec.Pets.  While I don't think most or even all
of the FML subscribers feel this way, there may be a few out there who I
am trying to reach.  This may be long, so I apologize.

        While people are entitled to their opinions, certain stances seem
illogical and even contradictory to that persons views.  I'm assuming
that it is a known fact that Marshall Farms breeds Ferrets for medical
research.  These Ferrets must conform to specific genetic standards. (I
read this somewhere so if I am giving misinformation please tell me so
and correct me.)  While I don't agree with this practice, it is also
assumed that they sell their "less than genetically perfect" ferrets as
pets.  My little ferret, Nibbles, is a Marshall Farms ferret.  Other than
overzealous playful behavior which results in making my hands and
forearms look like roadmaps :), I don't find anything wrong with her and
neither does her veteranarian.

        Here's where my problem comes in.  Some people (who might try and call
themselves Animal Rights Activists) are trying to make a stand against
Marshall Farms (and even Pet Stores that sell ferrets) on the premise
that doing so will help the ferrets.  In fact it will not.  Be logical
here, Marshall Farms breeds ferrets for research.  That's where a lot of
there money is coming in from I'll wager.  Especially if it is some kind
of government research (excepting your research Dr. Williams, as I am
uncertain where you get your ferrets from and understand you to be a
reputable researcher).  Because of budget politics, some government
departments will pay large sums of money per item for the things they
need because if they don't and don't use all their budgeted money this
year, next years budget will be decreased.  (This is where all the "$100
for a toilet seat" stories come from, a lot of which are probably true.)

        Now, let's say Marshall Farms has an order from a researcher for 10
young ferrets.  Rcent litters yielded 12 ferrets, 10 of which conform to
the researchers specifications.  What happens to the other two under our
previous assumption?  They get placed in the "Sell as pets" category.
Now, all these ranters and ravers have succeeded in turning everyone
(just an exaggerated possible scenario) away from buying Marshall Farms
ferrets.  What happens to those two little fuzzies who didn't make the
grade?  They either get penned somewhere for possible later placement or
they are destroyed.  (I don't presume to know exactly what Marshall Farms
does with the ferrets that are not purchased, I'm just guessing here.)
Now what did these "Animal Rights Activists do?  They unknowingly killed
two little ferrets in their quest to attempt to stop Marshall Farms from
breeding ferrets for medical research.  Bravo to them, but by stopping
the purchasing of Pet ferrets from Marshall Farms, they didn't stop
Marshall Farms from breeding for research.  I'm not saying that Marshall
Farms owners and employees are cold and heartless, but they might
possibly be business people and business people do what they can to keep
their business going.

        While those out there might think that they are doing the ferrets a
favor, they most likely are only doing them an injustice.  As one person
stated, Marshall Farms and Pet Store ferrets are no less deserving of
love and a good home than ferrets from any other place.  So stop giving
Marshall Farms a hard time and start putting your strength towards other
pursuits like trying to help ban needless research on ferrets and other
animals.  Stopping needless research would probably do a lot more damage
to Marshall Farms' income than stopping buying their pet-stock ferrets.
It might even get them to pursue breeding ferrets primarily for what they
should be bred for (if they are to be bred at all), pets.

        Just my $0.0199949586726 (inside joke for those of you following the
Pentium debacle.)

Jim and Nibbles (who wishes all her Marshall Farms brothers and sisters
well)