From:
KCAMPBELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 1994 08:58:19 -0500
   |1)  Sam is an only child.  :)  We have a very tight budget,
   |but does a ferret companion constitute a happier duo?  My wife
   |hates to see ferrets at the pet store bite and fight, by the
   |way.  Also, would introducing a new youngster to a somewhat
   |prissy (and potentially jealous) fuzzy cause problems for
   |either? One more --> male or female?  (no pups wanted here, so
   |he'd have to be neutered)

   Tim,  just by the meaning of the words "happier duo", a second
ferret is a necessity.  Without the second one it is impossible to
have a happier, or for that matter an unhappier duo!  Having 7
fuzzies at the moment and two more due in the door tomorrow, I believe
a playmate is worthwhile.  Carmen shouldn't be upset by the biting
as the ferrets certainly aren't.  That is the way they play!
Jealousy, ? , it can happen, who can predict.  Ours had to work out
who was going to be boss ferret, just like our dogs did.  Currently,
our oldest by age, newest by acquisition, smallest by size, it queen of
the roost.  She can be a real B*t*h ferret when she wants to be.
    Sex is immatterial if they are both fixed.

2)  Concerning shelters, anyone know
   |of any nearby Indiana shelters with ferrets?  (or any nearby
   |IN people trying to give a ferret away?)

   Don't know about shelters, but if you check the classifieds in the
newspaper you might find some.  Here there is usually at least one add
for a ferret for sale with all equipment.   The price ranges from $125
for fuzzy and equipment as low as 3 free ferrets with large cage, must
go together (which brought Bianca, Possum, & Gnome to our house).
Additionally Donna was a help to a couple just around the corner on a
female that went into to heat, that, since they've fallen on hard times
called us on the phone to offer their two fuzzies with equipment to us!
(which are the two due in Monday)

   |Also, she's sorta' off and on about using the
   |pan anyway.  Any material out there that works well?  What can
   |we do to keep her from squatting in various corners on the
   |linoleum?

   Same problems here.  We just kinda watch when they play and evac one
to a box if necessity dictates.  Reward with a drop of Ferretone if they
do the box business.  It's hit or miss here!

   | Being a
   |Kindergarten/preschool/etc student teacher, my wife gets
   |plenty of requests from classrooms to bring Sam.  Sam loves
   |the kids and will patiently go around a circle of them and say
   |hello to each.

   Just be REAL CAREFUL letting other people pet your ferret.  IF one
gets bitten (in play even and they misinterpret) there is all types
of problems waiting for the ferret owner.  Additionally since the
ferrets are very susceptible to human illnesses, a lot of exposure and
hands is not a great thing!  Don't mean to scare you just, ere on the
side of caution!  Doesn't mean ours don't get to be seen or handled,
but be aware of the risk!

Frito, Bandit, Chip, Humpy, Bianca, Possum, Gnome, Soup & Donna in NC