From:
sax and violins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 1994 10:59:08 -0500
K Campbell:

>   Tim,  just by the meaning of the words "happier duo", a second
>ferret is a necessity.  Without the second one it is impossible to
>have a happier, or for that matter an unhappier duo!  Having 7
  (rest deleted)

I have an older ferret.  She HATES all other ferrets.  I have tried
to introduce her to other ferrets, ones that I know are nice as can
be, and she always attacks them.  She is so afraid of them that she
attacks them before they attack her (as she thinks all unknown ferrets
will do).  She will not play with them, and attacks them if they try to
play with her.  She means business. I had a male who was kept in a
large colony and was well adjusted to other ferrets.  My female bit
him so hard that he would scream in pain.  He finally started grabbing
her, pinning her down when she attacked, and looking up to me for
help.  Needless to say, it was seperate playtime for the both of them
after that. Before I got her, she was kept in a cage with another
female ferret.  Her owners got rid of the both of them, and told me
they always fought.

I know the difference between playing and fighting, and my ferret
fights to kill.  So there are some ferrets that are better left alone,
especially older ferrets.  I had a young pair of females for a while,
and Addie (older ferret) was confused and scared by them.  When she
gets scared, she attacks.  (I must add that she is the sweetest,
friendliest, most loveable friend to people.)  She had a bad
beginning, and she is at her happiest now with people and cats to
sniff and chase.

addison