From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 22:50:10 -0500
Hi all in Ferret Land~

I am sure every one on FML has (personally) met a uneducated, unaware, and
misinformed Ferret (HATER).

Well today I met mine, here is a short run down from an hour long heated
arguement.........

I made a trip to our city Municipal building to get a copy of the "Wild &
Exotic" animal ordinances that apply to our city, ( I knew there weren't any
laws that apply to them, but I just went to check incase something had
changed, and I wanted to be factual  because I am doing an article on
Ferret's for our local newspaper, pictures the whole works, anyway while
there I was confronted by this large bizzare looking woman, I told her what I
needed and why.
She proceeded to read me the riot act up one side and down the other, and I
quote....." Ferret's are Wild animals and everyone that has one should do the
Ferrets a favor and let them go, put them back to the wild were they belong
in the first place" & "That NO ferret is able to be totally tamed"  she also
said that "Ferret's are always abused, and are usually kept in the small bird
like cages"  and that "They are Rabies spreader's since they cannot be
vaccinated for it"

Needless to say I gave her a few facts to chew on, asked her a couple of
questions that she couldn't answer, and was even nice enough to invite her to
my home and show her how 'Responsable' people take care of their Ferret's,
and even gave her the name of my vet. I don't think she'll ever come over,
but I felt I had something to prove, and to show her that Ferret's are pet's,
totally domesticated.

I probably wouldn't have gone that far with it, but this lady also works for
the humane society in our area, She is just so misinformed that I felt I had
to say all I could, even bring her to my home if thats what it takes.  I
doubt I'll be able to sway her opinion, but I couldn't let this dangerously
Stupid person go without saying anything.
In our area the shelter's only get about 1-2 ferrets a year, if that,They
said some year's they don't get any at all. So atleast that is a small
consolation, she won't have a great number of Ferrets to black ball into
being put to sleep with her 'NO Ferret's are tamable attitude'.

Well I just though I would share this STUPID person with you guys,
Ignorance lurks around every corner, and scary enough...In the hands of
Power.

Has anyone else met one of these lately?

I noticed on the top of issue 749 that the circulation dropped, was that a
typo or did we lose that many subscriber's? Just curious.

[The new system I'm running on has a slight mailer incompatibility, so
I had to change something, and obviously, part of the changes didn't work.
Everybody appears to have gotten their article.  It was just the circulation
calculation.]

Michelle and The MASKeteer's:-)